Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Espresso Macchiato

A few thoughts on my favorite espresso-based beverage, whose name comes from the Italian word for "marked."

We are not affiliated with, nor do we endorse Starbucks
Though it shares an important part of its name with the macchiato of Starbucks fame, this is a very different drink. The espresso macchiato is espresso marked with a bit of milk. The latte macchiato, what Starbucks has become known for, is milk marked with a bit of espresso (and often, in the Starbucks context, caramel). What I like about the espresso macchiato is the degree to which it allows the flavor notes of the espresso to shine through, while allowing for the milk to mellow out the intensity of a straight shot of espresso.

Since I've started working here and become interested in espresso, the macchiato has become my go-to drink. When I enter a new cafe and want to gauge their espresso, I buy a macchiato. Let me encourage you to do the same when you come in to the cafe here, especially when I'm on shift; in addition to being my favorite drink to drink, the macchiato is my favorite drink to make.

1 comment:

  1. Cooked pu erh tea- Natural Puerh
    http://www.naturalpuerh.com/product-category/cooked-puerh-tea/

    Buy 100 tested and trusted Cooked pu erh tea at Natural Puerh. Our pu-erh tea selection include aged pu-erh, raw-puerh, cooked pu-erh at a very cool prices. Shop today | Pay on Delivery | Easy & Fast Delivery.

    ReplyDelete